In 1973, Qatar’s first national College of Education was founded by decree of the Emir of Qatar, in his vision to place education as a priority in the country’s expansion. Among a small population, the College admitted a respectable 57 male and 93 female students in its first year.
The country’s rapid development highlighted the need for the College’s expansion, to provide additional areas of specialization in line with the requirements of the population. Therefore, in 1977, Qatar University was founded with four new colleges; Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Sharia, Law & Islamic Studies, and Science. From there, the institution rapidly expanded, with the founding of the College of Engineering in 1980 and College of Business in 1985. In addition, it originally supported several small independent research centers, and worked to establish a national community college; the College of Technology.
Following the establishment of Education City and the Qatar Foundation in 1996, a new era of competitive options for local institutions of higher education began, and Qatar University’s functions and services were re-evaluated. In 2003, the University embarked on an ambitious Reform Plan to increase the efficiency of its administrative and academic processes. To this end, a university-wide Strategic Plan 2010-2013 was launched, incorporating Key Performance Areas which focused on promoting quality education and efficient and effective services. The Plan also renewed focus on research, leading to the establishment of the Office of Academic Research in 2007, which oversaw a growing number of high-profile satellite research centers. Community service also became a large focus, and many facilities and services were enhanced and expanded upon, to meet the needs of the public.
Today, Qatar University comprises nine colleges: Arts and Sciences; Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Health Sciences; Law; Medicine; Pharmacy; and Sharia and Islamic Studies. Over the years, the University has continually expanded its wide range of new programs—the largest selection in the country—while fastidiously seeking the highest international accreditations, and ensuring they are aligned with the growing needs of the labor market and the aspirations of the society it serves. It currently boasts a population of over 14,000 students, and an alumni body of over 30,000.
QU’s diverse and lively student body of over 14,000 is a testament to the potential of Qatar’s greatest future leaders, respected scholars, and inspired artisans. Students at the university enjoy the convenience and beauty of state-of-the-art facilities and technology, paired with traditional values, in a harmony and ease-of-access which fully supports their education and life experiences.
In order to ensure students reach their full potential, they are presented with many unique opportunities and challenges. These include participation in Qatar’s top national competitions for grants, international conferences, exclusive study abroad and student exchange programs, and research positions. The University also offers many continuing education courses, and its various centers provide free workshops and academic tools. All students at QU have a laptop, with certain programs providing even more specific technology, to ensure that students will always have the resources needed to engage and complete tasks.
In addition to academia, supporting students in personal development has always been a major focus at QU. All students are provided a wealth of resources to ensure their every requirement for success and an exciting student life. These services include:
- Cutting-edge software and communications tools for ease of access to course materials and their instructors;
- Large and well-furnished men’s and women’s Student Activities Buildings, which offer an ideal place for students to meet, socialize, and network;
- A Student Learning Support Center (SLSC), for course help and extracurricular workshops to enhance skills;
- The Student Counseling Center (SCC); a top-class resource for students who wish to privately discuss important personal matters, including family planning, personal management, acclimating to university life, and anything else on their mind;
- An impressive offering of cafeterias and dining options, catering to many individual tastes and health requirements;
- University-sponsored events, trips, and activities, to enhance student life and also encourage meaningful social interaction with each other and faculty;
- A state-of-the-art library, with an incredible selection of volumes, as well as numerous subscriptions to academic journals, and the ability to request new trials;
- An award-winning campus, featuring beautiful architecture, easy travel and navigation, many quality-of-life conveniences, and more.
University Faculty & Staff
Qatar University proudly offers an extraordinary group of over 2,000 prestigious faculty, ranging from carefully selected international experts, to Qatar’s own top national minds. Every faculty member is recognized for their experienced research and/or tireless dedication to students, and is able to share a greater passion and insight into their field and how it can help apply to regional needs, as we pursue the National Vision.
QU faculty are highly encouraged to engage and remain active in the community, and are recognized and awarded for their achievements. The University strongly promotes research opportunities, and regularly participates in—and ranks at the top of—national research competitions, and provides an array of tools for faculty to present their expertise in the media.