Students interested in applying to the MA Gulf Studies program must submit an online application form and upload or send required documents to the Admissions Office. (Official hard copies of the applicant’s university transcript IELTS or TOEFL must be delivered or mailed directly to the Admissions Office). The program accepts applications twice a year in advance of the Fall and Spring semesters.
Click here for more information on the general application process, including an application instruction guide, graduate admission timelines and access to the online application once it’s open.
More information is below about:
- Minimum requirements
- Application requirements
- International applicants:
- Financial support (graduate assistantships)
- Completed a Bachelor degree with a grade point average of at least 2.8 out of 4.0 , or equivalent, from a university or college accredited by an international accrediting association or by the Ministry of Higher Education or comparable in that country.
- Students are expected to be proficient in English. Thus, applicants are required to demonstrate their English proficiency as part of the admission process by satisfying either of the following:
(*) Earned a previous degree from an institution of higher education in a Program where English was the language of instruction.
(**) Achieved a minimum score of 520 on the paper-based TOEFL or equivalent test taken within 2 years of the start of the intended semester of admission
- A satisfactory statement of purpose of 500 words.
- A satisfactory performance in the personal interview with the Admission committee.
All applicants to the Master of Arts in Gulf Studies program are required to submit the following documents to the Admissions Department:
- Admissions Application and Signature Page
- Final, official and certified university transcripts
- Official TOEFL score report or equivalent score report
- Two confidential recommendation letters from undergraduate professors or employers
- Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)
- Health Certificate
- Photocopy of the applicant’s Qatar ID card
- (Non-Qatari applicants must provide a copy of their passport)
- Two recent passport sized photographs
- Application Fees: QR 350
International students who require a student visa (under Qatar University sponsorship) must submit required documents to the International Student Section of the Student Services Department prior to receiving an admission decision. Learn more about student visa requirements and important deadlines.
Financial support (graduate assistantships)
Qatar University offers Graduate Assistantship (GA) awards on a competitive basis to selected newly admitted graduate students. The Graduate Assistantship offers graduate students the opportunity to gain work and research experience in the graduate department under the supervision of faculty members. Students are compensated QR 180 per hour, up to 20 hours of work per week. The GA recipient is personally responsible for all of his/her expenses, including housing, tuition, insurance, travel and any other incurred expense while studying at Qatar University. Interested students must apply for the Graduate Assistantship while applying for admission to the M.A. in Gulf Studies program. Click here for more information and click here to view the application document.
Tuition for the MA Gulf Studies Program is a total of 45,000 QR for the two-year program. Tuition fees for students enrolled in the all Master Programs is QR 1250 per credit hour. Click here for more information on tuition.