All students are expected to possess minimum basic skills to be eligible for enrollment in their desired academic programs. In order to be considered for Undergraduate admission to Qatar University, all applicants applying to the following colleges must demonstrate proficiency in English and Mathematics by satisfying the following minimum competency requirements as set by the University or pass the Foundation Program:
- College of Arts and Sciences (Science track only)
- College of Education (Secondary Education with concentrations in Mathematics and Sciences only)
- College of Engineering
- College of Health Science
- College of Medicine
- College of Pharmacy
Minimum Score for Exemption
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Internet Based (iBT)
61 or above
Paper Based (pBT)
500 or above
Computer Based (cBT)
173 or above
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) - Academic Version
ACCUPLACER ESL (for more information click here)
ESL Reading Skills
ESL Language in Use
Note: International Students (students from outside Qatar) who enroll in the Foundation Program are required to complete the Foundation Program in 2 semesters. If the student did not pass the Foundation Program in 2 semesters, the student should withdraw from the university, cancel the residence permit and leave the State of Qatar. Qatar University would encourage the international students who are applying to the student visa to satisfy the requirements of the Foundation Program before enrolling to the university.
ACT (American College Test)
24 and higher
SAT Scholastic Aptitude Test SAT (General Math component- Old version)
550 and higher
SAT Scholastic Aptitude Test SAT (General Math component- New version)
570 and higher
Both: APL Elementary Algebra (82 and higher) &APL College Level Math (95 and higher)
Competency Test Score's Validity
SAT (General /SAT I)
IELTS (Academic Version)
- QU Testing Center reserves the right to verify any standardized test scores and re-test students.
- QU Testing Center will re-test students submitting TOEFL paper-based test scores to the Foundation Program.
- A test score is no longer valid if it is older than the validity period from the start of the first day of the class. Students with scores older than the validity period should retake the test.
- Applicants who fail to satisfy the minimum English and Mathematics competencies identified above will be considered for admission to the Foundation Program and will be placed in their relevant levels based on their English and Math ACCUPLACER test scores.
- Foundation Program students are required to pass English and Math courses with a grade of 70% or higher in order to be enrolled in their Undergraduate college program
Please be aware that Qatar University mandates that all applicants to Colleges that have Foundation Program requirements must complete the ACCUPLACER test before they can register for classes. For additional information on the ACCUPLACER, please visit the Qatar University Testing Center website, or contact by email or call (+974 ) 4403-5522. Failure to take this test will prevent the student from registering for Foundation Program classes