This is the largest and oldest research group in the Center. The Group is supported by experienced staff and well-trained support team with research vessel, boats and divers equipped with the latest measurement and monitoring technologies. The Group generates published research, services and multimedia materials about the different components of the marine ecosystem of the country.
- Documentation of the natural marine heritage of Qatar. The main activity is biota analysis. This includes the retrieval, preservation and identification to the species level of meiofauna taxa from marine sediments, macrofauna, zooplanktons, phytoplanktons, macro algae and seagrasses of the Arabian Gulf and Qatar Marine Zone (QMZ) in addition to fishes and fish parasites are a main undertaking at the Biology Laboratory
- Preservation of the collected components in accordance with international museums and herbaria and dentification is by use of standard taxonomic keys
- Reference material is kept at the Center as part of the newly established Reference and Voucher collection of Qatar marine biodiversity
- Samples of organisms are documented by photography at the Multimedia Media Unit. Over the past few years the Center researchers have equally secured a large reference collection of photocopies and illustration from various websites. There aid in identification of unfamiliar species retrieved from marine sediment samples, fishing nets or those observed in undersea still photography and video films
- Microbiological analyses including estimation of Total Coliform (MTF-MF-QT), Fecal Coliform (MTF-MF-QT), Heterotrophic Plate Count (Pour plate), Parasites eggs (Sedimentation and Centrifugation), E. coli (MF-streaking – biochemical), S. fecalis (MTF-MF),Salmonella spp. (streaking) and others