Qatar University offers services devoted for international students that give the students more positive and productive time at the University, and represent the first step and the structure of the university experience for the new students admitted from outside Qatar.
In coordination between the International Students Section and the QU Housing Students Sections, the housing supervisors will welcome the new international students who granted a Scholarship only, for undergraduate and Arabic for Non-Native Speakers students, at Doha International Airport and accompany them to the University dormitory.
Attend Orientation Events for new students
- Prospective International Students Orientation: All new international students must attend the International Students “Orientation Program & Campus Walk Tour”.
- Academic Orientation: All new students must attend the Orientation Day to receive personalized academic advising and course recommendations.
- Arabic program Orientation and Placement tests: All Arabic program students must attend the Arabic program Orientation and placement test.
Get your Campus ID card
The purpose of the Student Campus Card is to provide identification card for enrolled students at Qatar University and to facilitate student access to the full range of facilities and services provided for students.
Residence Permit Procedures
All students are required to have a residence permit to live and study in Qatar. One of the first steps after arrival is to convert the student visa into a Residence Permit which will be issued under Qatar University sponsorship during one month since the student entered the country. This process will be implemented in cooperation among different departments in on and off campus; the student should undergo through 2 main procedures:
- Medical Examination in the Medical commission.
- Fingerprinting in CEID Finger printing authority.
- Student must leave Qatar within 48 hours if he fails the medical examination
- Student is not allowed to travel outside Qatar before issuing residence permit and receive the Qatar ID card
Submit the Health Certificate to QU Admission Department
All international students should submit Health Certificate issued by the “Medical Commission Authority” to QU Admission Department in order is to complete your admission file. International Students Section will assist the admitted international students to satisfy this requirement after their arrival to Qatar.
New Residency procedure
All students are required to have a residence permit to live and study in Qatar. One of the first steps after your arrival is to convert your entry visa into a Residence Permit which will be issued under Qatar University sponsorship during one month since the student entered the country. So the student should contact the International Students Section directly in order to proceed with the necessary steps to obtain the Residency Permit which include medical examination and finger print process. The student should Submit his/her original passport, one passport size photo and the documentation of medical examination and finger print to the International Students Section to complete this process of stamping residence permit in students passport. International students Section will inform the student by email when and how the student can collect his Passport and Qatari ID Card.
- Student should hand his/her passport, one photo, and his personal ID card to the ISS office 2 weeks ahead of the expiration date of the residency permit.
- Collect the passport with the renewed residency after receiving an e-mail from the ISS.
- Note: The student will be responsible for all consequences due to the delay in passport submission.
For every trip outside Qatar, the student who got a student visa under QU sponsorship should receive an Exit Permit from the University (as QU is the student's sponsor) through the International Students Section. To obtain an exit permit student should implement the following steps:
- Apply for Exit Permit through Banner Self-Service 5 working days prior to the student's traveling date.
- Student will receive an email notification from QU Immigration Section once the exit permit issued.
- Student must pay all his outstanding dues towards the University before he requests for Exit Permit. If the due amount is more than QR 100 student will not be able to apply for exit permit.
- The Exit Permit is valid for one exit only.
- Multiple Exit Permit is not available for the university's international students.
- The Exit Permit is valid for seven days that is started from the date of issuance. It is not allowed to use the same Exit Permit for second exit from Qatar during those seven days.
- The female students, who are planning to travel by road, must submit a Written Consent of her guardian before applying for the Exit Permit.
in case of student's final departure from State of Qatar, such as graduation, final withdrawal, or any other reasons; International Student MUST cancel his/her residency permit which issued under the University sponsorship:
- Student should hand his/her passport and personal ID card to the ISS office.
Residence Permit Transfer to QU (for current students only)
Current QU enrolled students may apply for transferring their residence permit from the current sponsor (e.g. company, parent or any other sponsor) to Qatar University to continue their study in QU. This option is available if the student’s residence permit will be cancelled for some reasons (e.g. parent is leaving Qatar OR Company will cancel the student’s residence sponsorship) and the student fulfill the transfer requirements.
For male students:
- Inside the Campus: a medical clinic is located in the “Male Students Activities building”, ground floor, near to the cashier’s office.
- Outside the Campus (for the student who resides in the dormitory): Before the student visit Hamad Hospital or Omar Bin Al-Khatab Medical Center or Hamad Hospital to seek treatment, the student should contact the housing supervisor for getting “the Treatment Form” to be submitted either in the hospital or the Medical center. After getting the required treatment this form will be transferred to the QU Housing Department to pay for treatment.
For female students:
- Inside the Campus: The medical clinic is located near to the Women’s Activities building.
- Outside the Campus (for the student who resides in the dormitory): student should go to the nurse available in the female dormitory.
To get a Heath card, you must have a Residence Permit stamped on your passport. Visit the Medical Center, Omar Bin Al-Khatab, in the Al-Ma’amoora Area, and ask about the health card section. You will need to bring your passport, a copy of your Residence Permit, 2 passport-size photos, and 100 QR. For Scholarship Students ONLY, Please keep your receipt for the 100 QR payment, and present it to the housing supervisors for reimbursement.
There is an expanding range of medical facilities in Qatar available to both residents and visitors. While visitors need to pay for treatment at Government hospitals and primary health care centers, residents holding a valid HMC health card will pay a nominal fee for medical assistance. Fees and information for Hamad Medical Corporation’s facilities are published on their website.
Qatar University provides accommodation for those QU enrolled students who choose to take advantage of this service. The Students' Housing (Men) is located conveniently in Al-Sadd area, while the Students' Housing (Women) is located behind Landmark mall. Limited spaces are available in University dorms and such rooms are subject to availability.
The University housing sections organize many activities during the academic year and provide students with many activities and services which include but are not limited to: transportation to and from the university, 3 meals on a daily basis, laundry, and Internet service among other things. Students also enjoy a number of recreational and academic facilities within the dormitories including: a games hall, library, and computer lab.
In order to reserve your room, please contact the Housing Department directly.
Room and Board
Student has the choice either:
- In the University dorms includes single room, 3 meals and bus transportation to and from campus, limited spaces are available in the University dorms and such rooms are subject to availability. Fees & Accommodation or
- Students can also rent their own apartments in Doha and provide their own transportation. The estimated average cost to do so is $2000 per month, which usually covers accommodation and transportation. Please note that the provided cost is a rough estimate of the cost of living in Doha. However, rents in Doha vary based on location and level of finishing.
- Handling Immigration topics for international student accepted at QU, by issuing entry visa to come to Qatar then transfer it into a Qatari Residence Permit under the University residency sponsorship after arrival to Qatar.
- Maintenance of Qatari residence permit under QU residency sponsorship, such as renewing, transferring or canceling residence permit, in addition to issuing exit permit for every trip to travel outside Qatar.
- Represent Qatar University as the residency sponsor for the international students by issuing any formal letter required for official use.
- Issuing tickets for international students who granted a scholarship that covers this benefit.
- Handling all the processes related to the Arabic Program for Non-Native Speakers admission, such as: receiving and processing new applications, announce decisions, issuing Entry visa & residence permit for accepted students, as well as maintaining immigration procedures, until students graduated and return to their country.
- Organize “Orientation Event with campus walk tour” to welcome newly admitted international students at the beginning of each term.
- Cooperate & coordinate with many of QU departments to encourage students to merge into the University life and getting the benefits of various services & activities provided by QU, such as the QU housing and student fund section.
- Guiding students to get the benefits of various services available in Qatar University, i.e. QU ID card, Health Card, ATM and Financial Aid, etc.
- Communicating with the applicants from outside Qatar and answer their questions then give them comprehensive information about applying to QU, Immigration issues and other necessary information.